Buy “Cebuana” now on:
ITUNES | SPOTIFY | AMAZON | GOOGLE PLAY
- 6 million views on YouTube in less than 2 months
- Top 1 Most Viral Music on Spotify PH on November 27, 2017
- Music Video was released on Facebook on November 30, 2017
- 1 million views in 24 hours “Cebuana” went Top 2 on MYX (#1 Music TV Channel in Philippines) on December 18, 2017
- Music Video #16 Most Trending (YouTube PH, December 4, 2017)
Karencitta talks about her Hit Single “Cebuana”, the Music Video & Sinulog
“Cebuana” is a personal piece of art that I wrote produced by Tc-5, a 14-year old Austrian boy and my good friend, Jon Ingoldsby— the Grammy Award Winner Producer & Engineer for Madonna’s “Ray of Light” album and currently the Songwriter and Producer for Eminem’s REVIVAL Album.
Over a phone call, Jon and I were discussing how we could build leverage from the demo I made for “Cebuana”. He suggested that I check Tc-5’s song on Soundcloud called “Alkaline”. It was an immediate decision to have Tc-5 on the team. I was intrigued by the way he structured “Alkaline” for it was not repetitive. It was not just “Verse 1, Hook, Verse 2, Hook, goodbye”. I mostly gravitated towards the violin elements he used because I grew up playing the violin and I suddenly felt excited for Tc-5. I believe he’s gonna be the next Martin Garrix if he continues to persevere in the business.
I came up with the concept for “Cebuana” by talking to my guy friends living in Manila. We were talking about dating and women. Not because I’m romantically into women but I like the process of digging into the psychological aspect of human beings; the way they behave, think and emotionally process. I like analyzing what men like and dislike. It’s good hands-on neuroscience for me. Based on my research, I found out that they are fond of Cebuana’s.
“What do Cebuana’s have that you like?” I asked.
They said they love Cebuana’s. They’re beautiful, good cooks and they just generate wife material.
Flattering as that may sound, what I can personally say is that Cebu is a province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas (Region VII) region, and consisting of a main island and 167 surrounding islands and islets. Because Cebu has easy access to the city and the province, some Cebuana’s have a good balance of the two lifestyles that surround the urban and provincial living. Some Cebuana’s are abstracted into two: the city girl and the probinsya girl. Cebuana’s are 2 in 1, basically. They’re not linear.
I dedicated this project to Senyor Sto. Niño and the Sinulog Festival. That’s why I released it 2 months before Sinulog. I wanted to create a song for Cebuana’s to chant.
In the Cebuano dialect, the word “Sinulog” means “graceful dance.” It’s a January festival and the big parade in Cebu is held the third Sunday of that month. I think the word “grace” encapsulates the word “Cebuana” too.
Jon sent me Tc-5’s demo beat. After a listening session, I emailed Jon and literally said that I was speechless. Every time I played the track, it got better and better, which is a really good first impression.
I told Jon, “look, it sounds amazing but there’s something very important that’s missing in the beat”.
I asked, “how can we incorporate a Sinulog-inspired vibe to the beat. This song will be playing annually as Sinulog approaches in malls, jeepneys, taxi’s, radio’s, everywhere”. So, I sent Jon the traditional Sinulog theme song and said “we really need to add this Sinulog element and we’re done. I promise, no more revision”. Jon said “dude, the Sinulog theme song is too fast”. I said “no, we’re not gonna use the tempo. We’re gonna use the instruments”.
If you closely listen to the “Cebuana” track and skip to 50 seconds, you’ll hear a metal instrument that’s inspired by the traditional Sinulog theme song! After the 3rd demo, I felt fulfilled.
I hope all of you enjoy this piece I’ve created with Jon and Tc-5. The holidays are approaching and I don’t care if I don’t receive any materialistic gifts. Having you play this track on the radio, in malls, anywhere is sufficient for me.
World Peace will always win. Daghan kaayong salamat ninyo tanan! Viva Pit Senyor!
CEBUANA DANCE CHALLENGE
PRIZE: Win PHP 10,000 cash & a feature on Karencitta’s Official Facebook Page
HOW TO WIN:
1) On Facebook, upload a dance video to the song “Cebuana” by Karencitta
2) Tag & challenge friends
3) Caption: #CebuanaDanceChallenge
4) Deadline: January 8, 2018 (extended to: February 13, 2018 due to high-demand)
5) Winner announced on: January 21, 2018 (extended to: February 16)
1) Do I need to be a professional dancer? No.
2) What are the qualifications? Open to all ages & gender.
3) How long should the video be? How many dancers should be in the video? Doesn’t matter. It’s up to you.
4) What is the criteria? 60% Creativity & 40% Engagement (Video Views & Shares)
5) I’m not from Cebu, can I still join the contest? Absolutely.
6) Where can I get a copy of the song? You can purchase it on iTunes / Amazon / Google Play. Free streaming on Spotify!